You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/01/2013 9:47 am  #1

Brake lights

I have a 73 charger i have restored and themed as a Batmobile complete with a mobile batcave in the trunk. All of the lights work except the brake lights. I have checked the obvious and before cutting into the tape ball under the dash I was wondering if anyone had seen this issue with this style of car. I can upload photos of my Rat Rod Charger if anyone would like to see it. I do plan on entering it into some of the local car shows for kicks. Just found this website may want to join in on the fun.
If anyone can help please let me know!
      Stan

2/01/2013 10:40 am  #2

Re: Brake lights

More than likely you have a bad turn signal switch. Even if the signals work the switch can still be bad. There are seperate circuits for brake and turn lights in the switch. You said you checked the obvious so I take it you have power into and out of the brake light switch with the pedal pushed.

2/01/2013 10:50 am  #3

Yes the switch works fine and the blinker do work. One curious thing I checked the wires in the trunk and like any trailer you have 4 wires 1 wire for running lights 2 wires for blinker and 1 other wire which i am not sure but think it may be brake lights. Funny thing is it will blink with the left turn signal. Is the signal in the steering colum?

2/01/2013 11:59 am  #4

Brake lights run through the turn signal wires. there is no seperate wire for them. The way it works is the brake light switch sends power to the turn signal switch when you step on the pedal. The turn signal switch has a set of contacts that take that power and feed it to the right and left rear turn signal wires .When you use the trun signals the switch uses another set of contacts for the right or left front and rear wires. What color is the 4th wire?

2/01/2013 1:11 pm  #5

I will look tonight and send you a message Monday morning. I the switch in the colum, if so can this part be purchased at a local auto patrs store. If so I may just buy it and replace it. Electrical problems are the worst. Thanks for all your help on this issue. What does it take to become a member of your club? I will have this "Bat Rat" for a long time. Might as well join in.
     Stan

2/01/2013 2:42 pm  #6

The switch is in the column even with the turn signal lever and I do believe the switch is available at the parts store. If you get the switch you could plug it into the harness before tearing the column apart to be sure that it will fix the problem. You can get to the plug just under the dash by the steering coulmn. If you give me your Email address  I'll send you a copy of our club news letter with a memebrship form included.  stumpy383@hotmail.com

2/04/2013 9:25 am  #7

I removed the steering wheel this weekend. It is worn out. I will order one from a parts store and try it before I install it. Thanks so much for your help. My Email Is," stan.altom@lennoxind.com ".
Have a wonderful day
       Stan

Board footera